Well, I wouldn't say asterisked, but I'm not sure anyone has ever had as much help from the Tennis Gods as Sascha, to earn YE #1 - at least since the wonky rankings of the early 80s and 70s. Sascha was really good this year, at least at Slams, but he is earning the #1 ranking without having to get through the top two players. I mean, he was 0-5 vs Jannik and 0-1 vs Alcaraz. I'm not sure that's ever happened. Furthermore, he's 0-6 vs. Top 5 opponents, 2-8 vs Top 10, and 8-11 vs. Top 20.
There are worse #1 seasons in terms of performance (e.g. late 90s to early 2000s), but I don't think there's a worse one in terms of how good the player was relative to the very best players on tour.
In 1982, McEnroe won #1 but had the third best season, imo, behind both Connors and Lendl. In 2022, Alcaraz was #1, but he wasn't as good as Novak or Rafa and was helped by Novak losing Wimbledon points and Rafa's injury. Connors wouldn't have won some of those YE1s in today's ranking system: Probably not 1975 (Ashe or Borg), definitely not 1977 (Vilas) or 1978 (Borg). But he (or Lendl) probably would have been #1 in 1982, so he lost one there. But Connors was only the clear best player on tour in 1974 and 1976. Vilas had a better year in 1977 and Borg was better by 1978.