The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Joined
Feb 1, 2016
Messages
1,546
Reactions
276
Points
83
Location
Bengaluru, India.
It’s getting harder for him, isn’t it? I think we’ll be lucky to see him at all, but if he’s tempted to try, then the AO is the place. I don’t know if we’ll see much of Djoker next year, but if he improves, I’ll feel very suspicious…

but that's what Djokovic is made for
 

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Joined
Feb 1, 2016
Messages
1,546
Reactions
276
Points
83
Location
Bengaluru, India.
But it's not that I am forcing Djokovic to play more. If he decides to call it a career I am with him for the journey ahead. After all, I respect him and don't want him to abuse his body or mind going forward. Let him decide what's best for him.
 

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Joined
Feb 1, 2016
Messages
1,546
Reactions
276
Points
83
Location
Bengaluru, India.
His body this year was showing serious effects of ageing. If he can reverse that next year, it’s very suspicious. But I expect he could go second week in Oz if his pre season is productive…

yeah like you say both possibilities are there him returning and playing good tennis and him not coming back at all, that second part has more chances. Yes if objectively speaking that's what I would say too. At this moment, it's okay actually. I bet he's just playing for the love of his game. Okay if he wins, okay if he loses too. This era really belongs to Alcaraz and Sinner.
 

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Messages
1,876
Reactions
1,572
Points
113
It’s getting harder for him, isn’t it? I think we’ll be lucky to see him at all, but if he’s tempted to try, then the AO is the place. I don’t know if we’ll see much of Djoker next year, but if he improves, I’ll feel very suspicious…
It depends on your definition of 'improves'.

Is he going to continuously be at the business end of every tournament/slam he enters? No, those days have passed. I think most reasonable people can agree on this.

Is there a chance that he has one more moment of glory (like Pete Sampras at the 2002 US Open)? Yes, keep in mind, Djokovic still made the final at the Australian Open and semis at Wimbledon. Pete was losing in the first and second rounds of every tournament he was playing in 2002 before he won the US Open.

Just as easily, though, Djokovic could come out in 2027 looking like a shell version, like Federer in 2021. Then, we will know for sure that it's over.
 

mrzz

Hater
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
6,946
Reactions
4,035
Points
113
Fonseca withdrew from all Asian tournaments, plans to come back in Basel, to defend his title.
 

Kieran

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
18,671
Reactions
8,580
Points
113
It depends on your definition of 'improves'.

Is he going to continuously be at the business end of every tournament/slam he enters? No, those days have passed. I think most reasonable people can agree on this.

Is there a chance that he has one more moment of glory (like Pete Sampras at the 2002 US Open)? Yes, keep in mind, Djokovic still made the final at the Australian Open and semis at Wimbledon. Pete was losing in the first and second rounds of every tournament he was playing in 2002 before he won the US Open.

Just as easily, though, Djokovic could come out in 2027 looking like a shell version, like Federer in 2021. Then, we will know for sure that it's over.
Pete was 30, and showing natural signs of fatigue. Novak is 40 and doesn’t have the energy he had even last year. If this chap comes back fitter next year, it’s very suspicious. I doubt it’ll happen…
 

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
18,443
Reactions
8,102
Points
113
Pete was 30, and showing natural signs of fatigue. Novak is 40 and doesn’t have the energy he had even last year. If this chap comes back fitter next year, it’s very suspicious. I doubt it’ll happen…
Novak's ego might be the GOAT and he cant be too accepting of Fathertime and Sinneraz/ygns kicking his junk into the court. I think he will try to be competitive to the very END. just my two cents
 
  • Like
Reactions: Shivashish Sarkar

Fiero425

The GOAT
Joined
Jul 23, 2013
Messages
12,407
Reactions
2,941
Points
113
Location
Chicago, IL
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
EGO as in supreme confidence that nobody can ever beat you at your best? If that’s the case, Federer & Nadal had just as gargantuan egos…

Novak has admitted he felt invulnerable in 2015! Hard to dismiss as he won 3 Majors, 6 of 8 Masters he played, then capped with YEC! :yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
 
Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,936
Points
113
Fonseca withdrew from all Asian tournaments, plans to come back in Basel, to defend his title.
Sad his ongoing ab problem was the reason for his withdrawal at the USO, hopefully he will be back healthy in Basel
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,936
Points
113
ATP Top Ten ( after USO)

1. Sinner 11,500
2. Zverev 9,690
3. Alcaraz 5,560
4. Shelton 4,680 (+5) a career high
5. FAA 3,890
6. Meddy 3,770 (+2)
7. Cobolli 3,720 (-1)
8. Tiafoe 3,380 (+3)
9. de Minaur 3,300 (-2)
10. Fritz 3,175

ATP Race To Turin

1. Zverev 8,650 ( +1) Qualified
2. Sinner 7,950 (-1) Qualified
3. Shelton 4,420 (+3)
4. Alcaraz 4,050 (-1) Qualified
5. Cobolli 3,530 (-1)
6. Tiafoe 3,330 (+2)
7. Fils 3,150 (-2)
8. Meddy 2,780 (-1)

9. Jodar 2,509
10.Fritz 2,480
 
Last edited: