2026 WTA News & Gossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
You know what made Sampras and Serena such good servers.. They Used the body serve as additional weapon. A great or good player can eventually time your big serve going down the T or to the corner of the box but the body serve usually force a block or chip return which keeps the advantage to the server if they come in behind it. Look how the Czech closed out Joao today..
I am amazed especially in todays womens game they dont use the Body Serve especially against taller players who have wing spans, it blocks them, on the whole women are better returners. Men tend to use the body serve more.
 
Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
Jess Pegula over played last grass season and I'd argue it cost her at Wimbledon, came out flat vs Cocciaretto in a very weird R1 loss
This year she is not playing Bad Homburg and now out of Queens Only grass lead up will be Berlin
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
I just watched a small video of Serena practicing at the Queens Club, looks in good shape I must say, though the real test will be when she actually gets on the court for a match, playing doubles is a good way to start back after being off the tour for 4 years
 

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
6,416
Reactions
1,809
Points
113
Location
Norfolk, VA
I just watched a small video of Serena practicing at the Queens Club, looks in good shape I must say, though the real test will be when she actually gets on the court for a match, playing doubles is a good way to start back after being off the tour for 4 years
I was going to say that Serena definitely looked great on the practice court. It will be nice to see how well she moves during an actual match. I think a smart pairing with Mboko to start. I would be interested to see her play a singles challenger, but I don't think she would go that route.

The body serve mention was interesting because as much as we talk about Serena's serve that is probably the one serve she could have used more especially toward the tail end of her leave from tennis. I think had she been more strategic with her serve maybe some of those losses she sustained could have gone more her way or at least lost by a much closer scoreline.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
I was going to say that Serena definitely looked great on the practice court. It will be nice to see how well she moves during an actual match. I think a smart pairing with Mboko to start. I would be interested to see her play a singles challenger, but I don't think she would go that route.

The body serve mention was interesting because as much as we talk about Serena's serve that is probably the one serve she could have used more especially toward the tail end of her leave from tennis. I think had she been more strategic with her serve maybe some of those losses she sustained could have gone more her way or at least lost by a much closer scoreline.
Thanks Sunday
Agree with your comments regarding Serena using the body serve more. Serena did look good at practice, looking forward to watching Serena and Vicky playing doubles together.
Before Serena asked for a wild card to Queens, Venus was granted a WC to Bad Homburg pity the tournament's schedule at the same time, I would have loved to seen the Sisters play together, still I feel they will probably hook up at Wimbledon doubles
 
Last edited:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
6,416
Reactions
1,809
Points
113
Location
Norfolk, VA
I also want to add I hope Serena starts practicing with the ladies on tour. I think that will help her more in gauging what she needs to do versus hitting with the guys.
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
I also want to add I hope Serena starts practicing with the ladies on tour. I think that will help her more in gauging what she needs to do versus hitting with the guys.
Agree, seeing she has been off the tour for 4 years, practicing with ladies on the tour would be more beneficial
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
Hailey Baptiste has had the operation to repair her ACL on her left knee from the injury she occurred at Roland Garros
Wishing her a successful recovery!
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
Sunday,,

It you are around, Serena has added Berlin to her schedule, as yet her doubles partner has not been confirmed, tournament begins on June 15
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
Its official no wild card for defending champ Tatiana Maria?
Wild cards announced for WTA 500 HSBC Championships
Main draw starts June 8
The wild cards announced singles are,
Boutler, Dart, Jones and Mika Stojsavljevic at Queens next week
 
  • Like
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
New WTA Top Ten, Monday 8th June ( after RG)

1. Sabalenka 9,090
2. Rybakina 8,143
3. Swiatek 6,733
4. Pegula 6,056 (+1)
5. Anisimova 5,848 (+1)
6. Andreeva 5,751 (+2)
7. Gauff 4,879 (-3)
8. Svitolina 4,315 (-1)
9. Mboko 3,670
10.Muchova 3,438

Race to the Finals ( after RG)

1.Andreeva 4,928 (+4)
2.Saba 4,510
3.Rybakina 4,388 (-2)
4.Svitolina 3,890 (-1)
5.Pegula 3,195 (-1)
6.Gauff 2,703
7.Kostyuk 2,495 (+2)
8.Muchova 2,410 (-1)


9.Mboko 2,392 (-1)
10.Cirstea 1,855 (+1)

New Career Highs On WTA Top 100,

12. Kostyuk
21. Chwalinska
50. Marcinko
51 Oliynykova
56. Siera
61. Bartunkova
84. Snigur
88. Tagger
92. Kraus
94. Tararudee
96. Korneeva ( Top 100 debut)
 
Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
18,444
Reactions
8,102
Points
113
Sunday,,

It you are around, Serena has added Berlin to her schedule, as yet her doubles partner has not been confirmed, tournament begins on June 15
Fingers crossed that she would team up with Alycia Parks.. I think she needs someone younger than Venus or someone who can cover more of the court.
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
Fingers crossed that she would team up with Alycia Parks.. I think she needs someone younger than Venus or someone who can cover more of the court.
I will try to get some more up date info, what doubles play Serena is playing with, at present there hasnt been any confirmation from Serena
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
Alexandra Eala adds another WTA125 title defeating Bartunkova 57 63 75 at the Lexus Birmingham Open
With this win Eala moves up to GS seeding range from #35 to #33
 
  • Like
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
AP,
Parks played the qualifying at the Queens tournament she was 7th seed and was narrowly beaten by Madison Inglis from Australia in her opening match,despite firing 19 aces
Parks next confirmed event she is on the entry list WTA500 Berlin Tennis Open, starts June 15-21
 
  • Like
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
18,444
Reactions
8,102
Points
113
AP,
Parks played the qualifying at the Queens tournament she was 7th seed and was narrowly beaten by Madison Inglis from Australia in her opening match,despite firing 19 aces
Parks next confirmed event she is on the entry list WTA500 Berlin Tennis Open, starts June 15-21
thanks
 

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
56,177
Reactions
34,937
Points
113
Aryna Sabalenka has been included in the US magazine Time, in the list of the 100 most influential figures in sport in 2026